1956 Frejus Tour de France


Over the years I have restored many bicycles. Most of the projects have involved period-correct components, in an effort to restore the machines to the way they were built originally. Always an entertaining challenge, and great fun to ride.

For this project I decided to follow a slightly different path.

I decided to build the bike as if it had been owned and ridden from new by a single owner, as a favorite bike. Had it been me, I would have cared for it well over the years, and modified it as better components came along. 

The frame is of classic construction: Columbus tubing with Campagnolo Sport dropouts and fork ends, with very clean brazing.

Living, as I do, in an area where every ride involves at least one or two climbs, I would have ridden with some climbing gears, in this case a lovely 14-32 five speed Suntour freewheel. I also would have added a suitable derailleur to handle those gears. I would have used a better crankset as well, the Campagnolo Record Strada with 52/42 chainrings, lightening the bike and giving myself a better gear range.

Better brakes would have been installed, as well as Cinelli Giro d'Italia handlebars and an alloy Cinelli 1A stem. The brakes are Campagnolo Record calipers with new pads, with early Record round-hole levers, polished and looking as-new, along with new world-logo hoods.

Eventually, since I ride a lot of miles, the paint would have needed refreshing. As a favorite bike, it would warrant an excellent paintjob. I would call Joe Bell.

So, then, this build represents a bike that would have been ridden many miles over the years, with appropriate additions and changes, in a condition as it would have appeared in about 1982. I call it period correct.

Here are the particulars: mid-1950’s Frejus Tour de France. I call it 1956, since that was a great year. I acquired the bike as yet another well-used frame. It was in a somewhat sad state, with all the chrome gone as well as most of the paint. What remained was just enough to see where the original decals had been. 

Luckily, an original headset was with the frame, as well as a head badge. Both needed refurbishing, of course. The headset came through the process very well and looks new, mostly through my diligent use of dental pick and tools as well as jewelers files to clean and prep it for re-chroming. The headtube badge was lovingly restored by Jon Pucci.

After the frame came back from the plater it was turned over to Joe Bell, and Jon Pucci at JB’s shop. As usual with JB, the paint is fantastic, as are the decals and all the detail work. JB and Jon Pucci are at the top tier for paint.

Most of the components are refurbished, with only a few NOS parts. I was helped along my path by several friends, with contributions and advice for the project. I have a great appreciation for them and am very thankful for their assistance.

One of the more interesting components to me is the much-misunderstood third generation Campagnolo Rally rear derailleur. In my setup it works very well. I’ve added a Campagnolo adjuster, which definitely helps with getting correct cable tension. I think the trick with this one is careful setup and precise shifting, but not in a hurry.

The ride is really great. It was designed as a stage-racer type bike, hence the name. It is a very comfortable all-day bike with a definite sporting character. In my thinking, that is certainly why it has been ridden and enjoyed for so many years.

The business end.

That headset.
Frejus was ridden to victory in the Tour de France, 1950.
Hence the name.
Campagnolo drop bolt, for use with 700c wheels.

Campagnolo Record shifters. Beautiful.

Campagnolo Record front derailleur. Simple and effective.

Beautiful paint from Joe Bell and Jon Pucci.
Cinelli 1A stem and Giro d'Italia bar. Frejus headset. And that paint. 

Campagnolo Rally, slightly modified.
Campagnolo Sport dropouts.

Summary statement.

Comments

  1. Very nice project, Chris. And, as usual, fantastic photography.
    Regards,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts