1983 Specialized Stumpjumper

The original Stumpjumper is an excellent machine. One of the first production mountain bikes, it makes an exceptionally capable road ride. It is burly and handles well, good traits for long distance road rides.

Mine is from 1983, the second year of production. It is a Stumpjumper Sport, which is essentially identical to the Stumpjumper except in it's original build kit.

I've built mine with a complete Shimano XTR group, the best of it's era. Mine is first generation M900, so is 8 speed. It functions very well, with crisp shifting and powerful braking, both necessary for the type of riding that I enjoy.

The current wheelset is a Bontrager Race Lite set with Maxxis Detonator tires. I will soon be changing to an XTR wheelset with the same tires, which are like glue on the road, allowing for maximum cornering speed and lean angles.

I will also be experimenting with an original biplane fork to determine which I like better. The biplane looks really cool, but I have no complaints about the current/original fork. Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular Posts